POSTED ON November 15, 2020
With November being "Movember" and Men's Health Awareness Month, you may be hearing a lot about the prostate lately. We talked about prostate cancer in a previous post, and that of course can be a concerning and devastating health condition for those men who develop it, but having a prostate isn't all doom and gloom! Believe it or not, playing with that innocuous little walnut-sized gland that produces your seminal fluid can make for lots of fun in the bedroom, too!
This post serves as a bonus "Ask the Intimacy Advisor", too, because we recently received this question from T.C. : " What is male prostate manipulation? Why do men enjoy it? How is it different from a normal orgasm?" Read on, T.C. and all others who are curious...I hope to answer these questions and more as we talk all about prostate massage!
Massaging or "milking" the prostate is a masturbation or sexual technique (don't tune out just yet, ladies...it can be very rewarding to help bring your man to this kind of orgasm, too!) that involves stimulating the prostate until it basically has its own mini-orgasm...and believe me, you'll feel it throughout your whole body! The prostate is a highly sensitive erogenous zone, just like a woman's g-spot, which is why it's sometimes referred to as the P-spot, and it can be stimulated directly in the ways we'll talk more about below, or indirectly through pressure on the perineum or "taint". Whether you're trying to find your prostate from the inside or the outside, you'll notice a different feel to it than the surrounding tissues, and you'll feel a strong, sudden urge to pee when you hit it just right...that's the spot, so bear with that feeling and you'll get to the pleasure in no time!
If you're brand new to prostate massage, I'm going to recommend you start with the basics...your hands. More specifically, just a finger, really! Please do yourself a favor, dudes, and get over the "nothing goes in the out door" hang-up. Enjoying butt stuff is normal, natural, and fun! It may take you a few attempts before you really get comfortable enough to enjoy it, but once you do, you'll easily be pushing all the right buttons! Let's run through the basic steps you should follow for engaging in manual prostate manipulation for prostate massage and trying to trigger a prostate orgasm:
- Step One: Make sure your hands are clean and your fingernails and cuticles are neat and trimmed short & smooth. Those are sensitive tissues in there and you don't want anything that could snag or cut you.
- Step Two: Your body and state of mind should be as aroused and relaxed as possible. Find a comfortable position where you can reach your anus, like on all fours or standing on your knees. It's ok to take your time and multiple tries to find what works for you, and you can adjust your position for whether you're playing alone or a with a partner, too.
- Step Three: Use lube (Wicked Jelle works great because it stays where you put it better than a liquid), and if you or a partner are concerned about cleanliness you can put a condom over your finger(s) too. Gently and gradually insert your finger into your rectum; your fingernail should be up towards your back, as you'll want to make a "come hither" motion when you get there.
- Step Four: About 2 inches inside, start curling your finger towards your belly button and feel for a squishy patch that feels different than the tissue around it. The more aroused you are, the more swollen and pronounced it will be.
- Step Five: Once you find it, you can continue with the "come hither" motion of your fingertip, or you can switch it up and try a circling motion, pressing the prostate like you would a doorbell, or even fast tapping to simulate vibration...this one gets tiring quickly, though, so if you find you really like the vibration sensation, it's time to try toys!
Prostate Massage with Toys
All toys made for backdoor play are wonderful, but they're also not all created equal, either. If you're looking for a toy specifically for prostate stimulation, you want something with a slightly curled end or wider, flared tip that will angle in and make contact with your prostate in just the right way. Even a simple vibrating wand or short, curved dildo (this one is great for strap-on play, too, which is another way to get your partner involved!) will get the job done, but there are many "fancier" styles as well! Many prostate toys vibrate, but not all, so you can decide if that's a sensation you like or not...it's good to try everything! Even if you're not already big on butt stuff, these prostate toys are a great place to start on your journey to discovery:
This is a non-vibrating prostate toy, so using it for prostate massage just requires sliding it in to the right position (use lube!), then letting your body rock up and down on it while it does the work! The size, curvature, and external stimulating curls make it the perfect fit for most men's bodies, and it's great for beginners or prostate pros! It stimulates the prostate both internally and through the perineum, so both sensations combined should put your orgasm over the top in no time!
These two are about as revolutionary as you can get in a prostate toy, as the shaft has a two-speed motor that rotates the tip in both directions, stimulating your prostate in ways your finger could never do! The outer arm also stimulates the perineum, and they have different vibration speeds and patterns to choose from as well. The Revo Slim (pictured right) features a smaller size which is good for beginners, and a remote control which makes it perfect for partnered play. The Revo 2 is the standard size for the Nexus Revo line and will deliver reliable, powerful prostate massage through rotation & vibration that will keep you begging for more! Always use these and any other prostate toys with plenty of water-based lube!
The Lelo Billy 2 is a smooth, perfectly curved, and powerful vibrator that puts you in control of adjusting your precise angle and intensity. The curved end targets the prostate internally only, with no perineum arm on the outside, but the powerful vibes will guarantee you'll feel it everywhere you want to! It's also 100% waterproof so you can take your prostate play session into the shower. Whether with a toy like the Billy 2 or manually, once you get the hang of targeting your prostate precisely, you can add in a cooling stimulant gel for even more sensational excitement.
The Other Way In...
Maybe you just really don't like the idea of anal play to directly stimulate the prostate, perhaps indirect stimulation through the perineum isn't enough for you, or maybe you've been there, done that with both of those and are looking for something more adventurous. There IS another way to stimulate the prostate, and that's through urethral sounding. Often considered a kink, this technique can seem a little intimidating at first, but it shouldn't be painful if you follow directions and do it right. The prostate rests between your bladder and your penis, so reaching it through your urethra just makes sense. Many urethral sounding kits come in graduated sizes, so you can start small and work your way up. Start with the thinnest dilator in the Ouch Urethral Sounding Dilator Set, and when you're ready for more sensation, move up to the Spiral Screw Urethral Sounding Set, which comes in beginner and advanced! Urethral sounds are made to be soft and safe, and can reach high enough through your penis to "tickle" the prostate at the top!